Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'm seeing double!! More VHS cover art fun!


Behold! The beauty of VHS!

I recently acquired two sword and sorcery titles for my collection and upon receiving the second one, made a very interesting discovery. Now as you know I love good cover art and both of these titles have that but what really stands out to me is the fact that they are so very similar. The titles in question are Barbarian Queen (1985) released by Vestron Video and Amazons (1986) released by MGM/UA Home Video. 

What struck me as I opened the package containing Barbarian Queen was the fact that there were five scantily clad women represented on the cover art, one which seemed to be deemed the head amazon warrior. I thought it looked extremely familiar so I went to the shelf and pulled down the MGM VHS of Amazons and yes! Almost the same exact cover art. Five scantily clad amazon warriors with one represented as a head warrior. Isn’t that nifty? I had to wonder if they were released close together and sure enough they were. 

Barbarian Queen was released shortly after the success of Deathstalker (1983) and stars Lana Clarkson who portrayed Kaira, an Amazon warrior. Amazons was released a year after Barbarian Queen in 1986 so it looks as if someone was cashing in on the whole sword and sorcery craze which was made very popular by the films Conan the Barbarian (1982), Conan the Destroyer (1984) and Red Sonja (1985). 

As I compared the artwork I found an even more interesting little tidbit. The head warriors look pretty much the same in the face! At this point I was getting my geek on. Seriously though look at the screen shots (even though they are a bit blurry). Each warrior is wearing very similar head pieces but the facial features are exact. Barbarian Queen’s head warrior looks to be a little more psychical than the head honcho of Amazons but both are of course dripping sexuality which is the main draw to these exploitative action films right?.......riiiiiiiight. 

Sexy lady one
Sexy lady two...they look the same to these eyes!
So after finding the artwork rather interesting with look alike head warrior princesses surrounded by scantily clad beautiful warrior women, I decided to dig a little into the production of the films themselves to see if there was a connection. Low and behold there was! I really shouldn’t be surprised either to be honest. I mean really, who has made a career of ripping of popular films, making them for next to nothing as far as money spent is concerned and make a decent profit from it? None other than the man with a film career that reads like a rap sheet/grocery list. The man who has probably employed more big name stars before they were stars. Who is the purveyor of cheap B films you may ask? None other than Mr. Roger Corman!!

HA HA! All the way to the bank baby!


Barbarian Queen was filmed in Argentina through Corman’s production company Rodeo Productions in Buenos Aires. Amazons was also filmed in Argentina but the production company info is sketchy. I haven’t had a chance to watch either one since I just recently acquired them but hopefully with a viewing of each I might be able to shed some light on that subject. My cheapyBmovie-sense tells me that they were both filmed in the same locations, by the same production company and funded the same wallet which belongs to Corman. 


So there you have it. My indulgence into exploitation films leaves me with more useless knowledge that I can spew forth when the moment arises. And that usually isn’t very often……which is why I have this blog so that I can spew forth the knowledge and give you, my trusted reader, some info you really don’t need but hell isn’t that reason you keep tuning in?

No comments:

Post a Comment